Nexus does include some tooling to help you cleanup artifacts, namely in the form of scheduled tasks. These tasks include:
- Drop Inactive Staging Repos
- Evict Unused Proxied Items From Repository Caches
- Remove Snapshots from Repository
- Remove Unused Snapshots From Repository
- Remove Releases From Repository
- Drop Inactive Staging Repositories
Many of these tasks simply move items to the Nexus specific trash directory so a final cleanup can be scheduled with the Empty Trash Task Also, for removing old release artifacts, it is advisable to consider the items in this knowledge base article.
Additionally the following tasks may optimize the disk space consumed by search indexes:
- Optimize Repository Index
- Purge Nexus Timeline
- Repair Repositories Index - this will rebuild index from scratch and remove all the incremental index files (nexus-maven-repository-index.XXXX.gz)
All of these tasks are explained in summary form in the book. Viewing each task's configuration screen provides a help icon next to each field which provides field specific information.