There are some basic steps to follow to make sure Nexus Smart Proxy is configured correctly between two Nexuses.
Smart Proxy Publisher Nexus Tips
- Open the Enterprise -> Smart Proxy tab. Make sure the Enabled checkbox is checked. Check the Status section below this. Verify that Nexus is listening and advertising connections.
- View the Trusted Certificates list on the Smart Proxy tab. Verify that that subscribing Nexus certificate is added and correct.
- Open Administration -> Capabilities in the UI. Select each item that begins with "Smart Proxy" and view the Status tab of each of these. Verify the settings displayed and make sure that there are no errors shown in the status sections.
Smart Proxy Subscriber Nexus Tips
- Open the Enterprise -> Smart Proxy tab. View the Trusted Certificates list. Verify that the Nexus publisher certificate is added and correct.
- Open the subscribing repository in the repositories list. View the Smart proxy tab and the status section. Look for any error messages.
- Open Administration -> Capabilities in the UI. Select each item that begins with "Smart Proxy" and view the Status tab of each of these. Verify the settings and make sure that there are no errors shown in the Status sections.
Smart Proxy activity is time sensitive. Make sure all Nexus hosts use a time server to keep clocks in sync.
Each Smart Proxy Nexus is uniquely identified by a Node ID stored in sonatype-work/nexus/conf/capabilities.xml. A common mistake is copying this file to another Nexus and having the same ID shared on the network. This will break Smart Proxy communication as the publishing Nexus will get confused as to which Nexus is the correct subscriber to send events to.
How to reset a Nexus Smart Proxy Identity
If you discover you have more than one Nexus sharing the same identity, then you need to reset all of the identities except one. To do this, on each duplicate Nexus:
Go to Administration -> Capabilities. Remove and re-add the Smart Proxy: Identity capability.
Alternately, the identity can be reset when Nexus is NOT RUNNING by removing this file:
Make sure that each publisher and subscriber trusts the new identity as required.
After performing the smart proxy identity reset it will be necessary to re-add the subscriber's trusted certificate to the list of smart proxy trusted certificates on the master instance.
Adding solutions to some common errors seen while configuring smart proxy will help for this Knowledge base.
We are closing this article for comments.
If you have a support license, please contact us by submitting a support ticket.
If you do not have a support license, please use our Nexus Users List or our other free support resources.